Sunday, October 23, 2011

Strange Electronic Noise on Fox Sports

Can anyone else hear that strange background noise on Fox Sports broadcasts? It sounds like a faint 1990s cell phone ringtone. It lasts about 2 or 3 seconds, and just keeps repeating every few seconds. I've noticed it on the Tigers/Rangers playoff games, then on the Cardinals/Rangers World Series games, and right now on the Falcons/Lions NFL game. The first time I noticed it I thought it was some sound happening at the Texas Rangers stadium. Then I noticed it during a game at St. Louis and thought it was something related to Fox's MLB coverage, then today on an NFL game suggests Fox Sports or just Fox.

I've noticed it for a few weeks. It's maddening. I've only noticed it on Fox Sports programs. Also, this sound disappears during commercial breaks. It seems most noticeable when there is a lot of crowd noise.

I have NOT noticed it on TBS, ESPN, ABC, CBS or anywhere else. Only Fox.

I've found a few people talking about it on message board sites. Some have heard it on Terra Nova, and the Emmys (both Fox). Someone described it as "a cyclic, tone-repeating sequence." Some people are saying they are hearing it on other channels as well, but I am not, and am wondering if their sound issue might be another one.

It seems to be happening across DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc -- leading me to think it's something on Fox's end.

Here's some forums where it's being talked about:

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Keith Plantholt said...

There was a yahoo answers question posted and then removed.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Ted Strong said...

Here are a couple more links where it's talked about:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/kqyhv/anyone_hear_a_strange_electronic_beeping_every/

http://www.brambletonian.net/forums/topic/19363-annoying-noise-on-fox/

6:03 PM  
Blogger Ted Strong said...

Tonight's World Series game - this is the first time I've noticed it continue through into the commercials...

6:07 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

I'm watching Fox on Time Warner and hear it too. Must be Fox.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i have heard it only on fox, w watch a lot of Fox soccer channel and don't hear it on there but during live broadcasts of fox i hear it every time

3:50 PM  
Blogger cfab said...

I've heard it on Fox Soccer several times last night during the MLS conference playoffs. I've heard it on nearly every sportscast I have watched lately at one time or another. I just heard it near the middle of the 1st quarter of MNF but I haven't heard it for a little while (4:36 left) What the hell is that? The satellite talking to the ground? It sounds very robotic/digital. Perhaps they're testing what we will put up with, and what is simply too annoying. Regardless, it's the latter.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Ted Strong said...

I have not heard it lately. I watched the 49ers game last Sunday on Fox and did not hear it.

Also, I've still never heard it on any sporting event aired anywhere other than Fox. And I watch a lot of ESPN, as well as NBC, CBS and ABC.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Ted Strong said...

It is clearly happening now during Fox's airing of the Wisconsin v. Michigan State game.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Erich said...

OK, so I have reviewed many forums on this topic. There is no doubt that the almost subliminal repeating tone sequence is real. Most people noticed it on FOX, but some notice it on other channels as well [which I haven't as of yet]: ESPN, AMC and others. This is certainly not coming from isolated from cable/satellite carriers, nor does it appear to be an artifact from compression.

We need to find out what the heck it is! I think that we can all agree that it is annoying as hell. There might be some audio experts in academia, and possibly in the private sector, who would be willing to get to the bottom of this. My question: does anybody have DVD recording capabilities, and if so, does it show up in the recording? I know for sure the tone sequence is preserved on DVR recordings. Also, does anybody have contacts that are expert in this sort of analysis?

I am willing to hunt down people who can analyze the broadcast signal, if you can get me a recording that contains the annoying tone.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Ted Strong said...

It was totally back in full force on the 49ers-Rams game on Sunday. Then later they cut to the Green Bay game and it was there as well.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Ted Strong said...

It was all over the Oscars telecast -- ABC. And people were talking about it. Tweeting about it at least....

10:19 AM  
Blogger Ted Strong said...

I'd also noticed it a lot on Fringe and Alcatraz in recent weeks.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Daren76 said...

Please sign the petition to stop the beeping.

http://www.change.org/petitions/all-television-providers-comcast-directtv-verizon-att-stop-the-beeping#

11:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have heard this same sound too but it's not only on during FOX's sport's games... I've noticed it watching Seinfeld too and it's SO ANNOYING!! I ask my family if they can hear it but they think I'm crazy.... It gives me a headache if I have to listen to it for too long. *Ugh*... well, at least I know I'm not crazy after all!! lol

4:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have heard this same sound too but it's not only on during FOX's sport's games... I've noticed it watching Seinfeld too and it's SO ANNOYING!! I ask my family if they can hear it but they think I'm crazy.... It gives me a headache if I have to listen to it for too long. *Ugh*... well, at least I know I'm not crazy after all!! lol

4:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Going on right now in Florida during the world series...I can't watch for more than a few minutes it drives me crazy

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home